Driving on motorways means heavier traffic and higher speeds. Below, is some advice to help ensure a safe journey:
- Check your vehicle is roadworthy before you start.
- Keep left except when overtaking.
- If you are overtaking a number of slower vehicles, it may be safer to stay in the middle or outer lane rather than continually switching lanes.
- Keep your distance and watch you speed.
- Only use the hard shoulder in an emergency - if you need to stop for any other reason - to read a map or use your mobile phone, for instance - pull into a service station.
- Take special care at roadworks: slow down and get into the correct lane in good time; Concentrate on the road ahead, not the roadworks; keep to the speed limit and keep a safe distance in case there are queues in front.